- Mrs Corona McMorrow – Head of Careers
- Mrs Una McAleer
- Ms Mary Devlin
KS3 Students have one period a week of Employability
Year 8 Course Content
- Job awareness – Students match a range of work activities with relevant jobs & demonstrate an understanding of the activities undertaken in a specific job role.
- Skills and Qualities – Students begin to consider their own personal skills and qualities and explore, identify and classify a range of key employability skills and qualities required by employers for specific jobs & begin to match their own skills and qualities with job requirements.
- Personal Career Planning – Students will develop their own planning skills, recognise key steps in achieving a goal and set appropriate targets.
- Career Research – Research career areas using Kudos software package and www.careersserviceni.com website. Prepare and deliver a powerpoint presentation on a career area of their choice.
- Job opportunities in the local economy – Name a range of local places of work and associated jobs.
- Occupational Sectors – Identify & categorise career opportunities in the main occupational sectors e.g. retail, finance, agriculture, health, manufacturing, hospitality, service.
- Technological Changes – Identify recent technological changes and how they have impacted on employment opportunities and work practices.
- Changes in the local & global economy – Students will identify a range of products that are now produced outside UK/Ireland and explain why these items are not produced in UK/Ireland and the effect this has on employment opportunities and associated jobs.
- Work Patterns – Explain how work patterns have changed & how people have different ways of working in their job; e.g. flexi-time, part-time, teleworking etc.
- Enterprise – Identify the key attributes of an enterprising person. Pupils will match their potential attributes with those of an enterprising person and solve a business problem in an innovative manner.
Year 9: Some of the Topics Covered
- Career awareness, research & personal career planning
- Economic growth/ decline & job opportunities within EU countries
- Corporate Social Responsibility including Environmental issues and implications for employability
- Impact of globalisation
- Entrepreneurship & business planning
Year 10: Some of the Topics Covered
- Choosing GCSE subjects & the implications this will have on future career opportunities.
- Personal Career Planning
- Enterprise & Self– employment – opportunities and implications
- Local & Global employment
NB: Students prepare for the GCSE LLW Employability paper which they take in Summer of Year 11.
Areas of study include:
- Globalisation and the impact on employment
- Rights and responsibilities of Employers and employees
- Self-employment & Sources of Support
- Recruitment and Selection Practices for Employment
- Career research, job suggestions using Cascaid Careers package
- Completion of CVS and personal career plans
- Job application process, including interview awareness and practice
- Skills and qualities/ SWOT
- The study of labour market information & the investigation of changing employment trends and career implications.
- Post 16 opportunities and preparation for making Post 16 choices.
Students have one period a week of Careers
- Labour Market Information & Employment Trends
- Career Interests & Preferences
- University Admissions information & trends including talks from Admissions Tutors throughout UK and Ireland
- Detailed Course & University Research
- Work Experience – preparation & evaluation
- Presentation skills
- Why Higher Education
- UCAS & CAO application process
- Personal Career Planning & Skills & Qualities Audit
- Attendance at workshops on specific career areas
- UCAS Personal Statement
- Completing the UCAS form online
- CAO application
- Interview preparation, including mock interviews
- Presentation skills
- Gap year research
- Choosing a firm & insurance UCAS choice
- Finance for University/ college
- Accommodation @ university
- Use of Social Media & Employability
- Adapting to life at university
- Job/ apprenticeship/ bursary and sponsorship opportunities