Apprentice Civil Engineer: Water – AECOM
We are looking for apprentices to join our Water (Civil) Engineering team. AECOM is an internationally recognised leader in water engineering, giving our clients a range of services including planning, design, project management and asset management services. Our Water engineering team remains at the forefront of the drainage and flood risk industry, involved in cutting-edge sustainable drainage and flood resilience schemes both locally and nationally.
Communities around the globe are challenged to find effective ways to manage water throughout the water cycle restoring the water we use to continue sustaining the natural environment. At AECOM, our Water specialists work together worldwide to find innovative solutions to the management of water. We provide technical expertise and solutions for projects in areas such as:
- Flood Risk Management
- Hydraulic Modelling and Design (Surface, Potable and Foul)
- Sustainable Drainage Systems and Water Sensitive Urban Design
- Mains Infrastructure Design (Surface, Potable and Foul)
- Non-Infrastructure Design (Pumping Stations, Storage Tanks)
- Hydrology and Water Resources
Successful candidates will work on projects from initial concept through to construction and operation, fulfilling diverse design, project management, stakeholder engagement, business innovation as well as technical and site assurance roles. Working as an AECOM Water apprentice requires collaborative behaviours, working together with multi-disciplinary specialists to deliver for our clients.
Our current portfolio of works comprises a diverse mix of local, national and international drainage, flood risk, water industry and infrastructure improvements. An example involves design services for Severn Trent Water in their groundbreaking green recovery project in Mansfield. This involves the retrofit of tens of thousands of square metres of sustainable drainage features throughout Mansfield, providing improvements in flood risk to 90,000 people.
You will work towards a degree apprenticeship in Civil Engineering at a local university.
We will pair you with an experienced engineer who will guide and mentor you through your initial period working on live projects. Responsibilities will include:
- Undertake technical and feasibility studies to appraise the practicability of solutions in aspects such as potable water, foul water, surface water and attenuation requirements, including appropriate calculations
- Produce designs of water infrastructure such as pump systems and pipe networks with attention to safety in design, such as creating a Designer’s Risk Assessment document
- Produce technical engineering drawings including plans, sections and typical details
- Undertake numerical analysis including the use of computer-based programmes to assist with the study of potable, surface and wastewater systems
- Keep up-to-date with developments in regulatory legislation and guidelines that may affect design work
- Working with other team members to undertake technical work, site work, and project management
Opportunities for site visits, to develop wider understanding of how designs are implemented.
This position is ideally suited to school leavers at GCSE or A-Level (or equivalent) who can demonstrate the following:
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grade ‘C/4’ or above, including Mathematics & English
- Three A-Levels (or equivalent such as a BTEC Level 3 in Civil Engineering) including Maths and a physical science at grade ‘C’ or above – essential for level 6 Degree Apprenticeship
- Some work experience or shadowing in an engineering environment would be an advantage
- Show an aptitude towards software-based engineering and drawing e.g. Computer Aided Design (CAD) and other similar 3D software
- Commitment to continued education and improvement through on-the-job learning and training opportunities.
- Creative, practical, adaptable and enthusiastic
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organize parts of projects
- English language proficient, holding excellent communication skills to present information in speech, drawings and reports
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Here, you will have freedom to grow in a world of opportunity.
We will give you the flexibility you need to do your best work. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
With infrastructure investment accelerating worldwide, our services are in great demand, and there’s never been a better time to be at AECOM! Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility.
We will encourage you to grow and develop your career with us through our technical and professional development programs and diverse career opportunities. We believe in leadership at all levels. No matter where you sit in the organization you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Join us and let’s get started.