- Posted by Fearghal Quinn
- Posted in Careers Blog
Duration: 3 Days 22nd – 24th June 2021
Application Closing Date: 31st May 2021
*Please note that pupils should not apply to this or any other virtual work experience unless they are fully committed to attending
A number of Construction Companies and Organisations together with School Employer Connections (SEC) are pleased to launch this Construction NI Boot Camp Virtual Work Experience Programme to Post Primary Schools across Northern Ireland on Tuesday 22nd, Wednesday 23rd & Thursday 24th June 2021. The programme is endorsed by the Construction Industry Training Board NI which is the sector body.
The objective of this virtual programme is to inspire young people to follow a career path in the construction industry whilst gaining an insight into the various roles in construction from key construction companies.
It is increasingly difficult for young people to engage in work experience as figures show that 24% of the UK population are continuing to work from home full time and redundancies are at an all-time high. Limited people/resources in the usual working environment has prohibited companies from offering such opportunities in addition to following government guidelines on social distancing.
Preference will be given to students resident in Northern Ireland.
Construction NI Boot Camp Schedule
- The programme will be delivered virtually by Google Classroom on the Speakers for Schools platform
- The programme will last for 3 school days commencing at 9:20 and finishing at 15:00.
- It is comprised of 12 one-hour sessions i.e., 4 sessions per day
- Time will be allocated for regular student breaks i.e., 3 thirty-minute breaks per day
- Students are requested to undertake 11 exploration online activities during their mid-term break as preparation
- Employer content will be a mixture of presentations, virtual tours, activities and student interactions etc.
- The 6 key Construction Companies are Farrans, OHMG Group, Graham, Heron Bros., Henry Bros. & Dawson Wam
- The 3 Organisations are The Careers Service NI, Belfast Metropolitan College and Workplus
- Up to 250 placements are available
- It is important to note that this is not an accredited course however undertaking steps to employment will boost young people’s prospects of obtaining future employment opportunities in the construction sector
Students will be provided with additional online activities from the Go Construct” website for construction career path exploration. Access to these activities will be forwarded in due course. This exploration is optional for students and not necessary for participation on the programme. 2. Students may be provided with access to the BIM CERT website to explore and investigate in preparation for the hour long BIM Workshop on Day 3. Access to registration details will be forwarded in due course. This exploration is optional for students and not necessary for participation on the programme. 3. Information on Apprenticeship forthcoming opportunities may be provided in advance. Access to these details will be forwarded in due course. This exploration is optional for students and not necessary for participation on the programme.
Speakers for Schools Experience Programme have a large selection of virtual work experience currently available. Many of these are with UK companies and pupils from NI are eligible to apply.
Pupils must first register at https://www.s4snextgen.org/ to avail of these opportunities.
Please note that all applications are not guaranteed to be successful due to the large number of applicants for each experience.