Construction NI Boot Camp Virtual Work Experience Programme
- Posted by Fearghal Quinn
- Posted in Careers Blog
*Please note that the deadline has been extended to Friday 12th February
This Construction NI Boot Camp Virtual Work Experience Programme is open to Year 13 students.
A number of Construction Companies and Organisations together with School Employer Connections (SEC) and Speakers for Schools (SfS) plan to launch a Pilot Construction NI Boot Camp Virtual Work Experience Programme to Post Primary Schools across Northern Ireland on Tuesday 23rd, Wednesday 24th & Thursday 25th February 2021. The programme is endorsed by the Construction Industry Training Board NI which is the sector body.
The objective of this virtual programme is to inspire young people to follow a career path in the construction industry whilst gaining an insight into the various roles in construction from key construction companies.
It is increasingly difficult for young people to engage in work experience as figures show that 24% of the UK population are continuing to work from home full time and redundancies are at an all-time high. Limited people/resources in the usual working environment has prohibited companies from offering such opportunities in addition to following government guidelines on social distancing.
Pilot Construction NI Boot Camp Schedule.
- The programme will be delivered virtually by Google Classroom on the Speakers for Schools platform
- The programme will last for 3 school days
- It is comprised of 12 one-hour sessions i.e., 4 sessions per day
- Time will be allocated for regular student breaks i.e., 3 thirty-minute breaks per day
- Students are requested to undertake 11 exploration online activities during their mid-term break as preparation
- Employer content will be a mixture of presentations, virtual tours, activities and student interactions etc.
- The 6 key Construction Companies are Farrans, OHMG Group, Graham, Heron Bros., Henry Bros. & Dawson Wam
- The 2 Organisations are Belfast Metropolitan College and Workplus
- Up to 250 placements are available for AS Level students only
- It is important to note that this is not an accredited course however undertaking steps to employment will boost young people’s prospects of obtaining future employment opportunities in the construction sector
Extended Registration deadline closes Friday 12th February