Ulster University Talented Athlete Scheme
Applications to the Talented Athlete Entry Scheme for entry to Ulster University in 2024 are now open.
The Talented Athlete Entry Scheme is designed to assist talented young sports performers in gaining access to a quality education at Ulster University whilst attaining success at the highest levels within their chosen sport.
The Scheme recognises the sacrifice in time, effort and crucially – in examination performance – which may result from taking part in sport at the highest level. Under the Talented Athlete Entry Scheme, Ulster University allows a reduction in the grades required for entry to full-time undergraduate courses.
For the academic year 2024-25, successful applicants to the Talented Athlete Entry Scheme will be offered a two-grade reduction in entrance requirements or the equivalent in other accepted entrance qualifications.
To be considered eligible to make an application to the Talented Athlete Entry Scheme you must:
- Participate in a sport recognised by Student Sport Ireland (SSI) and / or British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) through which opportunities exist for students to compete at Intervarsity level for Ulster University. A list detailing these sports is provided.
- Have been selected within the last 24 months to compete as a minimum at age group international, age group interprovincial or age group county level or above in line with the competitive structure of your chosen sport.
- Be entering Ulster University to study on a full time undergraduate course from school leaver level.
- Choose Ulster University as your ‘Firm’ course choice when making your application through the UCAS system.
- Agree to represent Ulster University in your chosen sport throughout your undergraduate studies, subject to fitness and selection.
Successful applicants to the Scheme can benefit from:
- A two grade reduction in course entry requirements (or grade range CCC; whichever is lower) or the equivalent in other accepted entrance qualifications. Please note that CCC is the lowest course offer that can be made through the Scheme.
- Access to performance sport support services, fitness programmes, performance skills workshops, merchandise and sports club / Sports Centre membership deals.
- Mentor support.
- The opportunity to apply to the Ulster University Dual Career Programme.
The number of successful applicants entering Ulster University through the Scheme from team sports will be capped at a level equal to the official size of an Intervarsity squad for that particular sport as established by the Colleges and Universities Sports Association of Ireland / British University and Colleges Sport.
A list of these team sports caps is provided.
Individual sports will not be capped.
As in previous years in order to be successful applicants must achieve an assessment score above an established threshold.
If within any team sport, the process of application form assessment cannot satisfactorily distinguish the successful applicants in line with the identified cap, a process of interviews may be used.
If you are applying for the Talented Athlete Entry Scheme as a team sport player, please be prepared to be interviewed as part of the selection process. We will let you know if we need to hold interviews and the date/venue as soon as possible.
For further information please click here
Any enquiries should be directed to the Scheme Administrator by email on email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 31 January 2024.