Virtual Work Experience and Exploring the Veterinary Profession
- Posted by Fearghal Quinn
- Posted in Careers Blog
Learn what it takes to become a vet and explore the challenges of the vet profession to decide if it’s the right career for you.
Get virtual vet work experience before embarking on a veterinary degree
The COVID-19 pandemic means that many potential vet students cannot undertake animal handling work experience.
On this course, you’ll get insight into the reality of life as a vet so that you can make an informed decision before embarking on a veterinary degree course.
You’ll learn about the structure of veterinary practice and the different governing bodies, as well as discover the day to day challenges a vet might face.
You’ll also explore the different roles available outside of general practice and find out the great opportunities such a degree can bring.
What topics will you cover?
- Introduction to the veterinary profession and how to begin a veterinary career
- Where and how vets work
- Roles of the wider veterinary team in and out of practice
- Overview of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, the British Veterinary Association and professional conduct
- The benefits and challenges of the vocation
- Current and future issues for veterinary medicine and science
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Explore the history of the veterinary profession
- Summarise the organisation of the veterinary profession
- Describe how to become a veterinary surgeon, what it involves and the time it takes
- Discuss the roles of the wider veterinary team
- Identify important skills and qualities required and provide examples of why these are important
- Investigate current and future challenges in veterinary medicine and science
- Apply work experience reflection to future placements
- Model levels of care and service accreditation
Start straight away and learn at your own pace.