Virtual Work Experience: Engineering & Technology – Ofcom
Duration: 4 Days – 6th – 9th April 2021
Closing Date: 19th March 2021
Have you ever wondered how your mobile phone helps you to keep in touch with your friends? Or how you can play games online or watch films and TV shows using your home broadband connection? If so, then the Ofcom virtual work experience week on Technology and Engineering will give you a glimpse of the way our communications services work today.
Ofcom is the regulator for the communications services that we use and rely on each day. We make sure people get the best from their broadband, home phone and mobile services, as well as keeping an eye on TV and radio. We also oversee the universal postal service and look after the airwaves used by wireless devices like cordless phones, walkie talkies and even some car keys and doorbells. We also help to make sure people don’t get scammed and are protected from bad practices. Right now, people are changing their attitudes and preferences, with technology changing our experience and expectation of communications at a faster rate than ever before. It’s a really exciting time to join Ofcom`s work experience programme to learn more about how our diverse and dynamic teams tackle some of the biggest issues within communication and broadcasting.
In our virtual work experience week, you will have the opportunity to hear from Ofcom specialists on subjects including:
- An intro to online technologies
- What a spectrum engineer does
- How we think technology will change in the future
- Working with data analysis
You will also have a chance to hear from some of our apprentices and graduates on the work they do as technical specialists and the routes they’ve taken from school into their careers.
As a regulator, Ofcom has a unique perspective across the communications sector. If you are interested in understanding how you can work in engineering and technology during your career, our work experience placement will provide a valuable first step.
Before applying please note:
- Be sure to read all the details as applications will be selected based on enthusiasm and open-mindedness for this specific opportunity, organisation and industry.
- Students will need to be able to be available for the week and the sessions will be conducted through Microsoft Teams.
- The final deadline for applications is Friday 19th of March, however, students may be selected before this date so please submit your application as soon as possible to give yourself the best chance.
Speakers for Schools Experience Programme have a large selection of virtual work experience currently available. Many of these are with UK companies and pupils from NI are eligible to apply.
Pupils must first register at https://www.s4snextgen.org/ to avail of these opportunities.
Please note that all applications are not guaranteed to be successful due to the large number of applicants for each experience.