Widening Access to Medicine Taster Course and Virtual Work Experience – University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is running a free of charge 4-day Virtual Work Experience and Taster Course for thirty Year 13 students, designed to increase the applicant’s knowledge of the role of doctors and the training they undergo. The taster course will provide opportunities to develop interpersonal skills, increase awareness of the undergraduate medical student experience and support students in their applications to study Medicine. The Widening Access to Medicine event includes:
- 2 days of live virtual work experience with University Hospital Southampton experiencing ward rounds, outpatient clinics, talks with a variety of clinicians and medical students and more. This will be delivered through Microsoft Teams.
- In person Q&A with clinicians
- In person practical workshops with medical students and staff
- Clinical skills and other topical sessions
- Interview techniques and application support
- A trauma scenario
- Sessions on UCAT and completing your application
- Support of a student mentor
This opportunity is for Year 13 students who want to study Medicine at university and intend to apply through a widening access programme. To qualify for this event, you will need to be studying A Level Biology and one additional science, be under 18, and meet at least two of the following eligibility criteria:
- First generation applicant to Higher Education
- Parents, guardian, or self in receipt of a means tested benefit
- Young people looked after by a Local Authority
- In receipt of 16-19 bursary or similar grant 1
1 Where an applicant chooses the Free School Meals criterion and the 16-19 bursary criterion, the 16-19 bursary must be awarded for something other than Free School Meals. For example: Transport costs between home and college, textbooks/stationery/printing. The bursary does NOT include the UCAT bursary.
- Resident in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20% of the IMD2 (Index of Multiple Deprivation), or a member of a travelling family.
- In receipt of free school meals at any time during Years 10-13 (normally for a minimum period of at least one school term/2 months.